Covid-19 Resource and Info Guide
Distance Learning Resources for PreK-12 Educators
PBS LearningMedia offers educators a variety of features that support distance learning, including easy searching by grade level, curriculum area and state and national standards, as well as integration with Google Classroom and Remind.
PBS LearningMedia Virus Information & Prevention Collection: This collection of resources helps PreK-12 educators teach the nature of viruses (including novel coronavirus), how they are transmitted and the healthy habits we can all engage in to prevent their spread.
PreK-12 Resources for Emergency Closings: A collection of curated resources organized by grade and subject area. There are videos, lesson plans and activities that support learning at home. A new PreK-12 Spanish language collection is now available.
The “Ken Burns in the Classroom” hub includes many of the award-winning films of Ken Burns and Florentine Films in their entirety. The full-length films, available through June 30th, support teachers and students with distance learning for the remainder of this academic year.
Responding to the need for educational resources for students as schools closed due to the coronavirus, all PBS member stations in Washington and WORLD Channel, in partnership with PBS LearningMedia, are broadcasting At-Home-Learning programs for grades 6-12 Monday – Friday, 9 am - 2 pm. These daily, free, over-the-air broadcasts feature the best in public media science, history and other educational programming. All programs in the block have associated PBS Learning Media assets. Find KCTS 9's WORLD Channel schedule here, with lesson plans provided. The channel is also now available for live streaming on the KCTS 9 website.
Webinar: “Distance Learning with PBS LearningMedia” Recording of a one-hour PBS professional learning event for PreK-12 educators that includes tips and techniques to support distance instruction.
Find tutorials that satisfy many of your burning questions on how to make the most of PBS LearningMedia.
Rick Steves commencement address for graduates of the class of 2020
Ask Dr. Universe is a series of short animated videos from WSU and fellow PBS affiliate Northwest Public Broadcasting. Dr. Universe answers audience-sourced science questions.
Spanish with Esmerelda, from fellow PBS affiliate Northwest Public Broadcasting, will help kids build their vocabulary with short, fun and engaging videos. ¡Empezemos!
Resources for Children and Families
PBS KIDS offers a variety of free resources to support families and caregivers, including a 24/7 channel with anytime access to trusted educational series for kids ages 2-8 (check local listings) and the following digital tools.
- PBS KIDS Video: Available on mobile, tablet and connected TV devices, PBS KIDS offers on-demand educational videos and a livestream of the PBS KIDS 24/7 channel. No subscription is required.
- PBS KIDS Games App: Includes nearly 200 educational games, which can be downloaded for offline play anytime, anywhere. Learn more about this and PBS KIDS’ other apps at pbskids.org/apps.
- PBS KIDS for Parents: A robust website with information, activities and tips for parents, including resources for talking with kids about coronavirus, encouraging healthy habits, managing worried feelings and supporting playful learning at home.
- PBS KIDS Daily Newsletter: A new weekday newsletter with videos, games, related offline activities and tips parents can use to keep their children playing and learning at home.
- The PBS KIDS Facebook page and YouTube channel host read-along videos by authors and celebrities including Michelle Obama.
Bright by Text is a free tool for parents and caregivers of children under 8 to make your jobs just a little easier. Sign up to receive free tips, learning games and activities sent straight to your phone!
Sesame Street in Communities has resources to help support caregivers in their efforts to keep kids healthy, provide learning opportunities and help them face challenges big and small.
Meet the Helpers is a website designed to teach children about important community helpers so they are better prepared in emergency situations.
When Something Scary Happens is a website with resources to help families cope in emergencies and other challenging times.
KCTS 9's #OurHeartsLiveHere initiative was created to bring joy to families during this time. Graduation season is upon us, and we want to celebrate and honor all of the grads from pre-school to law-school and everything in between, who are missing out on this year's ceremonies. Submit a photo of your graduate (or yourself!) for us to feature on-air on KCTS 9 and on our social media channels. You can also use #OurHeartsLiveHere to submit photos and share your grads with your neighbors.
Latest News and Information on Coronavirus
Crosscut Digital News & Resources
- Crosscut Coronavirus news hub: Crosscut’s news hub for everything Coronavirus related
- How you can help people in need during coronavirus: We’ve rounded up a few suggestions of ways you can share your cash, time and supplies with organizations in Washington state.
- Be a Neighbor: Look for info at the bottom of Crosscut’s coronavirus stories to help you or your organization find volunteers or find places that need them.
- Submit your questions here and our reporters may answer them. What questions do you have about Washington's coronavirus outbreak? What are you doing to prepare yourself or your community? What concerns do you still need answers about? We want to hear from you.
PBS Digital News & Resources
- PBS NewsHour Novel Coronavirus Web Portal: This website contains breaking news coverage on the novel coronavirus.
- PBS’s “What You Should Know About the Novel Coronavirus” Visit this web portal for evolving coverage and important background information.
- NOVA: How Serious is the Coronavirus? Video: A short video from NOVA examines what medical experts know—and don't know—about the SARS-CoV-2 virus and the disease it causes, called COVID-19.
Additional Learning Opportunities
Other Organizations Sharing Resources
Health & Government Sites