Chef Geogy Chacko of FAR-EATS in Seattle
Episode: KCTS 9 Cooks on the Side
- 1 russet potato per person
- enough oil to fry potato
- cilantro mayo or ketchup, to taste (optional)
Ingredients for Masala Salt
- 2 Tablespoons table salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon garam masala (a blend of ground spices: cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, fennel, and coriander)
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek leaves
Heat oil in fryer. In commercial fryer it’s 325 degrees; a home fryer should be between 325 and 350 degrees.
Put spices in a small bowl, and stir to combine. This makes more than you need for a small batch of fries. Seal the extra in an airtight container or bag.
Wash and completely dry potato. Cut in half lengthwise, then cut in 1/4- to 1/2-inch slices. Do not put in water to hold; you need the starch to redevelop a crispy outside.
Carefully lower the potato slices into the hot oil and cook until done, about 3 minutes. Drain the fries. Put the fries into a stainless or heatproof bowl, and immediately sprinkle with masala salt. Toss potato slices to coat.
Garnish with cilantro, and serve with a cilantro mayo or ketchup.