Christina Shirreff, Vancouver
Episode: KCTS 9 Cooks: Kitchen Classics
Treat yourself to bite-size Cheddar Chutney Tarts, piping hot from the KCTS 9 kitchen!.
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup aged cheddar, shredded
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon Indian curry powder
- 1/3 cup Major Grey’s Mango Chutney, with large pieces cut finely
- 4 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons dry sherry or apple juice
- 1 pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 dash of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 package frozen mini tart shells
In a bowl, mash cream cheese with a wooden spoon. Add remaining ingredients. Spoon into mini tart shells, following directions on the box, and filling shells just to the rim. Bake in the centre of oven at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, or until pastry is golden.
The filling can be made 2 days ahead, covered and refrigerated. If you make your own pastry you can fill the tarts and freeze them. When required, take them out of the freezer and bake as above. If prepared ahead of time you may reheat them.
Note: Instead of tart shells, you could use cut up puff pastry, pressed into a mini tart shell pan.