Chef Mauro Golmarvi of Assaggio Ristorante, Seattle.
Episode: KCTS 9 Cooks: Chef's Kitchen
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped pancetta or bacon
- freshly ground black pepper
- 10 green peppercorns, soaked in water
- 6 green onions, coarsely chopped
- 6 fresh basil leaves, torn or chopped with a ceramic knife, plus additional for garnish
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons vodka
- 5 ounces marinara sauce
- 1 pound Penne pasta
- 6 sprigs fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
- freshly shaved Parmesan cheese
Melt butter in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add pancetta, salt and pepper, peppercorns, green onions, basil and cream. Carefully add vodka (flames!) and continue to cook for 30 seconds.
Reduce heat, add marinara, and simmer for 8 minutes, or until cream and marinara marry. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve, garnished with Italian parsley and shaved Parmesan.